Energy Management
Each plant uses an energy KPI to keep track of energy usage, and results are reviewed and improved upon on a monthly basis. In 2017, the Company consumed 1,064,343,932 million joules of energy in total, which represented an intensity level of 119,905 million joules per $100-million in revenue. The plants in Chongqing and Chengdu used hydroelectricity. There were intensity level differences in flood and dry seasons so the estimation was based on 70% hydroelectricity and 30% coal-fired power and the consumption of non-renewable energy was 819,391,481 million joules and renewable energy was 126,520,353 million joules.
Compal has actively implemented energy-saving solutions at all plant sites. In 2017, we added two new plants. Due to the time gap between the foundation time and time of creation of revenue, along with the product production deployment and the operation adjustment, the consumption of electricity intensity level increased by 0.30% in 2016, diesel fuel energy intensity level increased 1.44%, and liquefied petroleum gas intensity level increased 74.92%. However, business travel and material transportation management have decreased gas consumption by 37.51% and natural gas consumption by 56.36%. We will continue to trace all energy/resource management and formulate efficient controlling targets and measures to reduce greenhouse gas emission.
Energy consumption of related plants included Taiwan, Kunshan, Chongqing, Chengdu, and Nanjing in China and covered 99.0% of global employees.
 
Environmental Plants Actions
Items Measure
Education and awareness
•Distribution of e-newspaper
•Use of energy usage reminders
Lighting
•Replacement of energy-saving T5 and LEDs
•Installed time-controlled/luminance-controlled switches
•Posted energy reminders on switches
Air conditioning •Set temperature at no lower than 26°Cin summer and no higher than 21°C in the winter.•
Inverter-type elevators
•Reconfigured elevators to stop on every other floor and reduced the number of active elevators to half during night time and on public holidays
Adopted smart dispatch system for elevators
Educated employees to take stairs instead of elevators
Hot water provision •The dormitory boiler is now heated using electricity; hot water in the dormitory is now being heated using the heat pump system.

 

Water Reduction
Our plants have been paying close attention to the use of water resources since 2011. They draw water only from the local water supply system. Because of the two newly established plants in Chongqing, the amount of water usage increased to a total of 2,019,285.7 tons in 2017, which was equivalent to 2.27 tons per NT$1-million revenues. With regards to the treatment of effluents from living activities, all effluents generated at the Taiwan Headquarters were discharged into the public sewer system, while effluents generated by the Chinese plants were discharged into the municipal sewer system. Since all effluents were discharged into the sewer system, they do not contaminate the water source or soil. Discharge of effluents was also monitored and tested on a regular basis.
In addition to reducing greenhouse gases, we also paid special attention to water management in each plant. The Company did not operate in a water-intensive industry and most of the water used is for employees’ living activities; as such, Compal’s water reduction plans mostly involved fixing and improving infrastructure facilities and promoting employees’ awareness of good living habits. A detailed list of reduction measures and awareness programs is shown in the following table.

 

Waste Management and Source Reduction
Waste from all plants is collectively treated and sorted before engaging qualified professionals for specialized recycling or disposal. Approximately 93.3% of the waste is incinerated while the other 6.7% is processed in cement kilns. Meanwhile, Six Sigma or reduction KPIs (such as compatibility of shared test jigs) are being used to track performance and help departments make reduction plans in every stage of the product lifecycle. Owing to the nature of its industry, Compal generates only a small amount of hazardous industrial waste. The waste mainly comprises: cleaning agents and alcohol used for the SMT* (note) process and re-flow oven, and tin waste generated from the tin furnace; all of which are being collected by locally certified recyclers and treated in ways that comply with the law. In 2017, Compal generated 742.63 tons of hazardous industrial waste, which represented 3.52% of the total waste generated. 
As depicted in the following table, the Company generates two types of waste: general waste and industrial waste. General waste mainly comes from employee dormitories, whereas industrial waste is produced from plants. Due to the fact that there were 2 newly established plants in 2017, and the total waste amount includes construction waste, the total waste amount increased compared to previous years.