In the 1962 publication - "Silent Spring," Madam Rachel Carson had warned people that toxic substances contained in pesticides could severely impact our natural environment. Global warming and extreme weather conditions we experienced in recent years have made us aware of how vulnerable everyone is to climate changes. From now on, mankind has to find the right balance between sustainability and economic development.
In order to fulfill our mission of "taking what is needed today without compromising future generations," Compal has fully committed itself to global environmental protection programs such as greenhouse gas survey and reduction, carbon footprint, carbon disclosure project, a design of toxicity-free products, and lead/halogen-free production.
In 2010, we formed the Green Committee led by senior managers graded Vice President and above whose mission is to set strategies and goals and monitor the progress of our efforts. In addition, a Green Sustainability Office (GSO) was created under the Committee to oversee execution of environmental protection actions. The GSO regularly reports the progress and outcome of green projects to the senior management.
External Advocacy and Engagement
As a significant member of the Earth, we actively participate in global and local environmental initiatives and actions
- We have been participating in CDP and responding to questionnaires on climate change, water and supply chain since 2009.
- In 2011, Compal was invited to participate in GHG product value added carbon footprint experimental project developed by World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) and WRI, during which we provided feedback on our experience and recommendation in ICT product carbon footprint survey and contributed to the establishment and improvement of new standards.
- In 2013, we led over 33 suppliers to participate in the Enterprise Carbon Footprint Restructuring and Upgrade Project organized by Kunshan City Government, Industrial Technology Research Institute and Taiwan Electrical and Electronic Manufacturers’ Association and were awarded the title of “Low Carbon Pioneer.”
- In 2013, we participated in the DJSI and Supply Chain Greenhouse Gas Task Force of Taiwan Enterprises Alliance for International Sustainability Index.
- In 2013, Compal was invited to participate in the corporate pledge for environmental education during Taipei World Environmental Day, and has since been educating employees in green living through action.
- Compal won the certificate of excellence in Taipei City's 2nd National Environment Education Award - Private Business Division in 2013.
- In 2014, Compal was invited to the annual meeting of Taiwan's "Cradle to Cradle" platform.
- In 2015, Compal achieved a Disclosure score of 97 and a Performance band of "C," and was selected in the Climate Disclosure Leadership Index for the very first time
- Compal participated in 2050 Pathways Platform of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change in 2016